I wanted to host Keith on the program because he was very instrumental (without knowing it) in causing me to seriously re-think my understanding of Jesus’ commands of non-violence for His followers. In light of recent events such as ISIS and the new American Sniper movie (which I wrote about here) – the topic of violence vs. non-violence – especially for professed followers of Christ, has been heating up.
There are very few topics that cause so much opposition, challenge and discomfort as this. That’s usually a good signal that we, as a people, need to do ALOT more talking about it, with each other. So, that’s what Keith and I are doing here.
What you will hear:
- Keith’s background, ministry, books, writing, passions, etc. – and why following Jesus into non-violence is of particular interest to him
- Brandon’s personal testimony of hearing the message of Jesus and the non-violent Gospel, really, for the first time, and how it impacted him
- “What about if there is an intruder in your home?” “What about the Old Testament?” “What about Hitler?”
- Love “disarms.” How? And why is this important?
- Justice from God: it is restorative to BOTH the oppressed, AND the oppressor
- Why is this message in particular, so difficult for Christians to follow? Why is there so much pushback?
- American Christian Nationalism – perhaps the most dangerous (and deadly) idol of our day
- There are really only two operating paradigms of the human experience: Love and fear. What are the characteristics of each? How can you tell which paradigm you are living in? How does it connect to the issue of violence/non-violence? Why does it matter?
- Todd Hunter
- Greg Beale – “The Temple and the Church’s Mission”
- Greg Boyd
- Walter Wink – “The Powers That Be”
- Herb Montgomery – Start here at Part 1 and keep going. Please.
- Real Life Radio Episode: 002 – How to understand the Bible, and exposing the greatest lie about the Cross
- See the bottom of this post for a comprehensive list of the podcasts and articles, mentioned in the podcast, from Keith on non-violence. Many of these specifically address the “What if” and “What about” pushback questions.
After you listen:
- Check out Keith’s website
- Subscribe to Real Life Radio at iTunes
- Comment below or on social media – Engage in this important discussion
- You might want to read these articles from Brandon: American Idol — Kingdom Forgiver: Looking for the Other Way in an ‘American Sniper’ world — and Fear is not real. Fear is a choice.
- Blog Posts:It’s Not About Pacifism:
http://subversive1.blogspot.com/2014/02/its-not-about-pacifism.htmlJesus: The Prince of Peace (Part 1)
http://subversive1.blogspot.com/2011/09/jesus-prince-of-peace-part-1-of-4.htmlJesus: The Prince of Peace (Part 2)
http://subversive1.blogspot.com/2011/09/jesus-prince-of-peace-part-2-of-4.htmlJesus: The Prince of Peace (Part 3)
Jesus: The Prince of Peace (Part 4)
The Love Chapter: Remix
Christ or Anti-Christ
Early Christian Soldiers:
Onward Christian Killers?
- Subversive Radio Podcasts:
Jesus: The Prince of Peace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVPxbbi48p8Following Jesus Into Nonviolencehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyF94gDF558The Power of the Gospelhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ05hCPGH6g
Herb Montgomery and Keith Giles Discuss Non-Violence
Greg Boyd and Keith Giles: Jesus, Love and Nonviolence
Subscribe to receive new posts + FREE eBooks via e mail