Tonight, like most of you, I was mesmerized by the live coverage of “Suspect 2” in the Boston Marathon Bombings being apprehended by authorities.
Since the unthinkable atrocity of the bombings on Monday, our nation, and my home, have been places where we’ve felt a little more on edge, a little less safe – places where we’ve taken extra time to hug our kids and give thanks for the life and freedom we do have.
Consequently, upon seeing that red ambulance drive away with the bomber tucked inside, I had an immediate emotional response of relief. And satisfaction, that justice was going to be served. That we were safe – at least from one more evildoer who would seek to harm us. That “we GOT him!” That we were going to get even.
And then, I felt another response, the one that comes not from my mind, but from the deepest place in my heart…
Pray for him.
Pray. For. Him.
(Well, yeah, I’ll pray. But I want to pray in thanksgiving that he is caught! I want to continue to pray for Peace and Safety and Comfort and Protection over the people of Boston and our nation and our world!)
Ok, but Son, pray for him too, “Suspect 2” – Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.
Oh, how I love the gentle guidance of Him Who indwells me…
It is He who said, “Love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you!” (Jesus – Matthew 5:44)
And then..“Love your enemies! Do good to them. Lend to them without expecting to be repaid. Then your reward from heaven will be very great, and you will truly be acting as children of the Most High, for He is kind to those who are unthankful and wicked.” (Luke 6:35)
(Love my enemy…)
(Pray for my enemy – those who would (and have) harmed me…)
(The Lord Himself is kind to those who are wicked…)
So, friends, tonight I have prayed, and encourage you to join me in praying:
- That the earthly life of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is spared. That the EMT’s and doctors and nurses work with supernatural wisdom and skill in bringing him to full health.
- That in the due course of interrogation, that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is overcome with absolute Truth as to his motives, his methods, and his networks and accomplices.
- That Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, in as many additional days he has been granted on this earth – is met with a conviction of the Lord Jesus Christ. That he comes to know that he too was perfectly and wonderfully made. That God has plans and purposes for his life. That he is a creation of the Creator. That he is loved, still, and always. That it is never too late. That there is hope and a future for him. That he needs, and can receive, the loving, forgiving arms of Jesus.
- That in Christ, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev finds healing from his grief and pain in losing his brother.
- That from life in maximum security prison (because while still on earth there is ALWAYS time to choose Jesus and realize forgiveness and salvation – there are NEVERTHELESS temporal consequences for sin) Dzhokhar Tsarnaev uses his testimony of meeting and receiving the Lord Jesus, and his platform, to proclaim the Glorious riches of Him – to inmates, terrorists, and the world.
- That Dzhokhar Tsarnaev would see a proclamation, a manifestation, a realization of Jesus Christ on Earth – in the forgiveness, grace and love – from Christians, now and for the rest of his life.
- That, if the previous 6 prayers are fulfilled, upon Dzhokhar Tsarnaev’s ultimate death (possibly via Death Penalty – again, consequences…) and in looking into the face of his Lord and Savior, he experiences a multitude of the response Jesus gave to the thief on the Cross, and the embrace He gave to Peter, His betrayer.
Amen, and Amen.